Environmental regulations can be confusing. Does it apply to my business, or does it not? What are the recordkeeping requirements? Training requirements? Initial notifications. Application forms. Regular reporting forms. It’s enough to make your head spin.

We’ve simplified it for you. Browse below for the regulation you need more information on, and if you still have questions, contact us and we’ll get it answered.

Appliance Demanufacturing

Before recycling or disposal, all appliances must be demanufactured to remove the hazardous components and dispose of them properly. To do so on-site, you must obtain an Appliance Demanufacturing Permit from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Here you will find a summary of the regulation and its requirements.

Learn More

Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know (Act)

Community safety is the focus of the Emergency Planning Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). It essentially helps local communities protect public health, safety and the environment from hazardous chemicals. Through this act, State Emergency Response Commissions (SERC) and Local Emergency Response Committees (LEPC) were created with the responsibility of developing emergency response plans. The main components of EPCRA include emergency planning, emergency release notification, hazardous chemical storage reporting and toxic chemical release inventory.

Learn More

Food Waste and Composting

Regulations surround food waste and composting operations. One of the most common myths surrounding food waste (liability from donation) is actually solved by a regulation (Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act). Learn more about this act, as well as regulations regarding animal feed, composting facilities and selling compost in Iowa.

Learn More

Hazardous Waste

Every business is responsible for characterizing its wastes. Knowing which wastes are hazardous and the amount of hazardous wastes generated and stored at your facility will indicate the level of regulation that applies to your business. The benefit of knowing this information provides the opportunity for compliance with federal environmental regulations.

Learn More

Household Hazardous Materials

If your facility sells any household hazardous material, in any amount, it must obtain a Household Hazardous Material (HHM) permit and participate in a consumer education program. Informing consumers of the characteristics of and proper disposal methods for household hazardous materials increases the likelihood that these products will be used and disposed of properly.

Learn More

Minor Source Emission Inventories

The Iowa Department of Natural Resouces (DNR) requires all facilities not subject to the Title V Operating Permit Program to submit a Minor Source Emissions Inventory every three years. DNR has split Iowa into thirds to stagger the number of inventories received annually. To assist businesses with the inventory, the IWRC's Iowa Air Emissions Assistance Program provides training, and has developed resources, tools and calculators to use as you complete the reports.

Learn More

National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP)

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issues National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) in an effort reduce exposure to hazardous air pollutants. The IWRC has developed numerous resources, information and training to help Iowa facilities comply with the regulatory requirements.

Painting and Coating

Businesses with painting and coating operations have many requirements when it comes to recordkeeping and training regulatory compliance. We, along with our Iowa Air Emissions Assistance Program, have developed numerous programs and resources to help keep your facility compliant.

Learn More

Permit-by-Rule for Spray Booths

The permit-by-rule is a specific permit exemption that may be used to exempt an air pollution source, such as a spray booth, from the traditional permit process. Note: Permit-by-rule does not exempt the pollution source from applicable air pollution regulations and compliance requirements.

Learn More

Pharmaceutical Disposal

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently finalized its standards for managing hazardous waste (HW) pharmaceuticals. The goals of these standards are to create cost-saving, streamlined regulations that better fit the operations of the healthcare sector and maintain protection of human health and the environment. Designed to improve and clarify the regulation of hazardous waste pharmaceuticals, Subpart P defines and outlines waste specific requirements for two different entities: healthcare facilities and reverse distributors.

Download Factsheet

Looking for more information? For a more detailed summary of the rule visit the DNR webpage

Precious Metal Reclamation

If your facility generates, stores or transports recyclable metal wastes to reclaim economically significant amounts of gold, silver, platinum, palladium, iridium, osmium, rhodium, ruthenium or any combination of these, then the requirements within 40 CFR 266, Subpart F must be met.

Learn More


Refrigerant recovery and recycling equipment manufactured since 1993 must be tested to comply with environmental regulations. The IWRC has compiled information regarding two sources - motor vehicles and appliances/stationary sources.

Appliances/stationary sources
The 40 CFR 82 Subpart F regulation applies to your facility if you recover refrigerant from appliances or other stationary sources such as air conditioners (not motor vehicle air conditioners) and refrigeration equipment before disposal/recycling.

Motor vehicles
The 40 CFR 82 Subpart F (Recycling and Emission Reduction) regulation applies to anyone performing service on motor vehicles when that service involves the refrigerant in motor vehicle air conditioners (MVACs).

Solid Waste

Beneficial reuse options apply to industrial, commercial and institutional generators, and users of solid by-products (waste) and sanitary landfills utilizing alternative cover material. Reuse is available to solid by-products being disposed of as solid waste in an Iowa landfill, and that meet certain requirements. Wastes/operations that are not eligible include waste that has already been landfill disposed, land application of solid waste, solid waste processing operations or solid waste composting.

Learn More

Solvent Contaminated Wipes

Regulations applying to facilities that generate disposable solvent-contaminated wipes (i.e., wipes contaminated with EPA-listed solvents (F001 through F005 (with the exception of trichloroethylene), P and/or U-listed solvents)).

Learn More

Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan

The SPCC regulations apply to facilities or farms that store, transfer, process, refine, use or consume oil (e.g. crude oil, animal, soy and vegetable oils, petroleum products, etc.) in excess of the following limits and from which an oil leak or spill could ultimately discharge to a surface water (i.e., storm sewer, ditch, drainage tile, river or lake).

Learn More

Special Waste

A special waste is any industrial process waste, pollution control waste, or toxic waste, which presents a threat to human health or the environment, or a waste that is difficult to handle at the landfill.

Learn More

Storage Tanks

Aboveground Storage Tanks
These regulations apply to your facility if you have an aboveground storage tank storing flammable liquids with a capacity of 60 gallons or more, tanks with a maximum storage capacity equal to or greater than 1,100 gallons, and/or any new or replacement flammable liquid storage tank with a capacity of 60 gallons or more at a bulk plant, service station or processing plant.

Underground Storage Tanks (UST)
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources manages UST regulations.

Visit IDNR UST Webpage

Storm Water General Permits

In 1987, Amendments to the Clean Water Act required the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to develop regulations for storm water discharges from “industrial activities.” These regulations established National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit application requirements for certain types of industrial facilities or certain types of industrial activities that discharge storm water to surface waters.

Learn More

Looking for information on a specific permit?

Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP)

Wastes that are potentially hazardous because of toxicity require a hazardous – non-hazardous determination through laboratory analysis using the Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) testing protocol.

Learn More

Universal Waste

If your facility generates spent Universal Waste - Batteries (excluding lead-acid batteries), Universal Waste - Mercury Containing Equipment, Universal Waste - Lamps (e.g.: fluorescent tubes), non-empty Universal Waste - Aerosol Cans or excess Universal Waste - Pesticides, it is subject to the universal waste requirements outlined in 40 CFR 273 - Standards for Universal Waste Management.

Learn More

Used Oil

If your facility generates used oil, collects and markets, and/or burns used oil, it is subject to compliance with 40 CFR 279 – Standards for the Management of Used Oil. See if this regulation applies to you, and if so, the requirements for storage, recycling, recordkeeping and disposal.

Learn More

Waste Tires

The Waste Tire Management regulation apply to your facility if you store more than 500 waste tires on your property at any time, or if you process waste tires into tire-derived fuel (TDF) or other products for reuse.

Learn More


Dental Effluent Guidelines
Dental offices that place or remove amalgam and discharge wastewater to a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) are subject to pretreatment standards that reduce discharges of mercury.

Metal Finishing Wastewater Pretreatment Standards
Industrial users that discharge wastewater to a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) are subject to general regulations that prohibit the discharge of pollutants that may pass through or interfere with the POTW treatment process.

Septic Tanks and Leach Fields
If your facility discharges wastewater other than domestic sewage to a septic system, these rules from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) apply.