How It Works
Over the phone, you'll talk with one of the Brewery Certification team members who will provide you with guidelines for certification as well as recordkeeping and supporting documentation.
IWRC staff visit your brewery and conduct a free audit checking for various environmental and sustainability practices throughout five categories
- Applicable environmental regulations
- Environmental management
- Energy efficiency
- Water quality/conservation
- Resources/solid waste management
Criteria-Based Score is Developed
Using a matrix based on the criteria, scores are tallied to award a total score.
You receive a final report outlining findings of the audit.
- Qualified Breweries
- You are awarded a certificate and a window cling designating your level of certification. Recognition is also given via multiple digital and traditional media outlets.
- Unqualified Breweries
- Your audit will include recommendations and resources to become a certified Iowa Green Brewery and the IWRC will be able to assist you with ongoing efforts.
Before your initial visit, IWRC staff will compile a list of all applicable environmental regulations and requirements for compliance. No level of certification can be reached without first complying with air quality, stormwater, wastewater, and non-hazardous and hazardous waste regulations. Then staff will look at the following.
- Environmental Management
- Energy Efficiency
- Water Quality / Conservation
- Resources / Solid Waste Management
The Iowa Green Brewery Certification was developed by the Iowa Waste Reduction Center at the University of Northern Iowa with the help of the Iowa Brewers Guild and a few breweries across Iowa. We appreciate the cooperation and help of J. Wilson from the Iowa Brewers Guild and the breweries for their insight and assistance to ensure this certification is beneficial for all breweries throughout the state.