How It Works
Over the phone, you'll talk with one of the Brewery Certification team members who will provide you with guidelines for certification as well as recordkeeping and supporting documentation.
IWRC staff visit your brewery and conduct a free audit checking for various environmental and sustainability practices throughout five categories:
- Applicable environmental regulations
- Environmental management
- Energy efficiency
- Water quality/conservation
- Resources/solid waste management
Criteria-Based Score is Developed
Using a matrix based on the criteria, scores are tallied to award a total score.
You receive a final report outlining findings of the audit.
- Qualified Breweries
- You are awarded a certificate and a window cling designating your level of certification. Recognition is also given via multiple digital and traditional media outlets.
- Unqualified Breweries
- Your audit will include recommendations and resources to become a certified Iowa Green Brewery and the IWRC will be able to assist you with ongoing efforts.
IWRC staff will provide training and assistance on all applicable environmental regulations which is required for all levels of certification. Gold and Platinum certifications require verification of compliance with all applicable environmental regulations. IWRC will also look at the following.
- Environmental Management
- Energy Efficiency
- Water Quality / Conservation
- Resources / Solid Waste Management
The Iowa Green Brewery Certification was developed by the Iowa Waste Reduction Center at the University of Northern Iowa with the help of the Iowa Brewers Guild and a few breweries across Iowa. We appreciate the cooperation and help of J. Wilson from the Iowa Brewers Guild and the breweries for their insight and assistance to ensure this certification is beneficial for all breweries throughout the state. The IWRC reserves the right to withhold any certification for a number of reasons, if certification is withheld, written documentation of the reason will be provided.