With the need for residents and businesses to reduce their use of fossil fuels sooner rather than later, this one-day workshop focuses on current and future energy trends in Iowa. Attendees will have the opportunity to learn from and network with energy experts, consultants, industry professionals and government agencies with the goal of elevating the energy conversation in Iowa.
Date: Thursday, May 4
Time: 8:15 am - 4:00 pm (Registration opens at 8:15 am)
Location: West Des Moines Marriott
1250 Jordan Creek Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50266
$60/person for IAEE Members ONLY
*If cost is a barrier to attendance, scholarships are available on a case by case basis. Contact Dan Nickey for more information
To reserve a room at the West Des Moines Marriott, click here.
Keynote Speaker: Robert Bryce
Mr. Bryce is a Texas-based author, journalist, film producer, and podcaster. The host of the Power Hungry Podcast, Bryce has been writing about energy, power, innovation, and politics for more than 30 years. His articles have appeared in a myriad of publications including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Forbes, Time, Austin Chronicle, and Sydney Morning Herald. His sixth book, A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations, was published in 2020 by PublicAffairs. He is also the producer of a feature-length documentary film: Juice: How Electricity Explains the World, which is available on iTunes, Amazon Prime, and numerous other streaming platforms. He lives in Austin with his wife, Lorin, who is an art teacher, photographer, and master potter.
Session Titles & Speakers
- Is a 100% renewable grid in our future?
- Robert Bryce, author, journalist, film producer, and podcaster
- Mike Fehr, Senior Vice President of Renewable Generation and Compliance - MidAmerican Energy
- Don Kom, Director - Ames Municipal Electric System
- Jamie Niccolls, P.E., Lead Resource Planning Consultant - Alliant Energy
- Dual fuel heat pump panel
- Sly Grimm, Area Sales Manager - Mitsubishi Electric
- Zak Paine, HVAC Installation Advisor - Slipstream
- The future of RNG as an energy source in Iowa
- Dr. Craig Just, Associate Professor in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering - University of Iowa
- Shelly Peterson, Program Manager - Iowa Economic Development Authority
- Brad Pleima, President - EcoEngineers
- Bryan Sievers - AgriReNew
- Building a sustainable and reliable grid
- Chris DesPlanques, General Manager - Indianola Utilities
- Justin Foss, Sr. Strategic Project Manager - Alliant Energy
- Dr. Jim McCalley, Anson Marston Distinguished Professor - Iowa State University
- Dehn Stevens, Vice President of Development and Planning - MidAmerican Energy
- Stephanie Weisenbach, Program Manager with Iowa Energy Office - Iowa Economic Development Authority
- How to solve the EV challenge
- Stu Anderson, Director of Transporation Development - Iowa Department of Transportation
- Dr. Anne Kimber, P.E., Ph.D, Director of Electric Power Research Center - Iowa State University
- Matt Ott, Senior Project Developer - MidAmerican Energy
- Joel Zook, Energy Services Coordinator - City of Ames
- IRA & IIJA: How will the state implement these funds
- Amber Buckingham - Iowa Economic Development Authority
- Jeff Geerts, Project Manager - Iowa Economic Development Authority
- Brian Selinger, Director of the Iowa Energy Center - Iowa Economic Development Authority
- What are utilities and the State doing to promote energy efficiency in the future?
- Isaiah Borel - Linn County Rural Electric Cooperative
- Kari Gehrke, Manager, Demand Side Management - Alliant Energy
- Jeff Gorrie, Director of Energy Services - Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities
- Erin Rasmussen, Director of Energy Efficiency - MidAmerican Energy
Download Detailed Agenda here
To stay up-to-date on event announcements and IWRC news, subscribe to our monthly newsletter
Testimonials from 2022 Attendees
This was a very interesting workshop and I appreciate the work that went into it.
I thought it went well and received a number of calls and emails after the event to connect and share additional information."
I really enjoyed this event and the opportunity to connect with a number of people.