Asphalt Plants, Construction Sand-Gravel, Concrete Batch Plants, Rock Crushing Plants
To comply with Iowa’s Storm Water Discharge regulations a Storm Water Discharge Permit must be obtained. Storm Water General Permit No. 3 is for storm water discharge at asphalt plants, construction sand-gravel, concrete batch plants and rock crushing plants.
Obtaining a General Permit
- Develop and implement a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (see sample guide below)
- Make a Public Notice
- Place a public notice in the two largest newspapers in your local area stating that you are applying for a storm water discharge permit
- Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) and Permit Fee
- Download Notice of Intent from Iowa DNR
- Attach copies of the two newspaper notices
- Choose the length of time for permit coverage
- Submit completed NOI and copies of the Public Notice, along with the appropriate fee to the Iowa DNR
Once these three steps have been successfully completed the facility will be considered covered under the General Permit and storm water discharge can commence.