The following information applies to facilities affected by the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations (40 CFR, Part 63, Subpart HHHHHH) referred to here as "6H." This rule applies to certain facilities that spray coating. This rule applies to facilities that spray coatings that contain one or more of the following: cadmium, chromium, lead, nickel, or manganese to motor vehicles, mobile equipment or other products made of metal or plastic.
Basic Requirements for Compliance
- Painter Training
- Painters must be trained in setup and maintenance of spray equipment, spray technique, booth and filter maintenance, and environmental compliance. Refresher training is required every five years.
- Spray Booth Exhaust Systems
- Filter systems must have a 98% collection efficiency.
- Spray Guns
- Coatings must be applied using HVLP, electrostatic, airless or air-assisted airless spray guns.
- Maintain records on painter training, filter efficiency, notifications and more.
- Iowa DNR Initial Notification | Notification of Compliance Status | Exemption Notification (PDF)
- CEDRI (Compliance and Emissions Data Reporting Interface)
- CEDRI Registration Guide (PDF)
- CEDRI Reporting Guide (PDF)
These resources and information have been developed by the Iowa Air Emissions Assistance Program, a program focused on training and educating Iowa small businesses with less than 100 employees. The Iowa Air Emissions Assistance Program is funded by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. This information is intended solely as guidance, cannot be used to bind the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and is not a substitute for reading applicable statutes and regulations.